A Content Curation Experiment With Paper.liHovey
This is the Social Sentinel (pic has since been replaced with someone else’s as I deleted my account). It’s my experiment with curating all the great social media news into one cohesive package on paper.li. My intent was to provide a one-stop-shop for my followers to see the most important and useful posts of the week. I think my experiment is a dismal failure.
I’m going to be honest. I don’t “get” how this is doing anything for me, for my social media consulting business, for my clients, followers, friends or for anyone. I have to be missing something, but I don’t know where to look. I haven’t been able to find any advice on making this work for me.
My issues with it are this:
- People receive attribution for articles they didn’t write. It’s a “contribution” attribution, not a signal that they wrote it, but many people still don’t understand that.
- The customization is limited. I can’t hand pick every article to be included, therefore some irrelevant crap gets included…like articles in languages other than English.
- There doesn’t seem to be a way to only curate from a specific group of people. It pulls articles from all of your Twitter.
- I need a reminder to go in and tweak it before it’s published, and I don’t seem to be able to set that up within the system.
- The way I’ve got it set up now, it’s the same information that I’ve already shared, for the most part.
- It’s just another thing I need to promote to gather subscribers.
So here are my questions for you:
- Looking at this, is the information useful to you in your business?
- Would you like to receive a notice about something like this once a week?
- Do you subscribe to any other paper.li publications? If you do, please share the link for me.
- Have you found an article about using this service that might help me? Please share the link.
I’m trying to decide if this type of curation is worthy of my precious time, asking myself the same questions you should be asking yourself before you adopt a new social media for your business. Comments are always welcome!
Join Social Media for Twirps
Subscribe to get emails of the latest social media news, tips, tricks and tutorials, curated with the small business owner in mind and I'll send you the Brain Tickling list of content ideas for your blog and social media.