Social Media Resources for You: A Reading List

At the end of my social media training courses and workshops I always give out a list of appropriate book recommendations or social media resources. My collection is steadily growing and I thought it might be helpful to share my favourites with my readers.

social media marketing rockstars

Anita & Scott at the AIM Conference, June 2013

Books I’ve actually read and highly recommend:

What can I say about Scott Stratten? I won’t lie, I have a little professional crush on him and I stalked him into coming to Halifax for two separate events. But it’s with good reason! Scott uses real examples of good and bad social media to show you how it can and should be done. His books are fun and easy to read. If you don’t get Twitter, you should start with UnMarketing. His next book, QR Codes Kill Kittens is available for pre-order now and ships on October 14!

Mitch’s books are the kind of books you should give to anyone who says social media is just a fad, Twitter won’t be here in five years, or “put that damn phone away for five minutes would ya!” He’s tackled the seemingly impossible task of explaining to those people how we got here and why digital will continue to invade our lives.

These are not fun and easy books to read. The Long Tail is an economics book, but it explained so much about why the Internet is so amazing. You can read my full review here. I listened to Free while driving to a conference hours away and I found it fascinating to listen to. It’s another economics book, but I was truly glued to it the whole time (I thought it might make it hard to stay awake while driving but I was very wrong).

I wrote a review of Now Revolution when I read it, too. This would be a great follow up book for the person who just finished Mitch’s books and is now realizing they need to get on board with social and digital. This will help them see all the pieces they need for their company to be successful in the digital space.

And here’s what’s on my shelf, waiting to be read. I expect great things from these. Watch for the reviews as I get them read over the summer (if I can stay away from the 50 Shades wannabes):

Now it’s your turn! Which social media books am I missing? When I make it through these, what should be next on my list? Let me know in the comments. And since I’ve got an extra copy, one lucky commenter will win a signed copy of Scott Stratten’s UnMarketing! That’s right… just comment below (make sure your real name and email are there for me to see) and I’ll draw one random commenter to receive the book… the “unrevised second edition”.

UnMarketing by Scott Stratten

Comments (29)

• William C Murray Reply

Great list! Would also add in both ‘Trust Agents’ and ‘The Impact Equation’ by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith.

July 9, 2013 at 9:33 am
    • Anita Hovey Reply

Yes, those are on my list too… but not yet on my shelf. I need to do some major reading this summer and get caught up.

July 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm
  • Loreli Reply

Hey! Would love to read UNMARKETING! I am currently reading The Dragonfly Effect, which is great for those using social media for the purpose of social change. Great for nonprofits… but I’m also using its principles at a law firm whose vision is to provide hope and a helping hand for the injured.

July 9, 2013 at 10:19 am
    • Anita Hovey Reply

Ooooo… that one sounds really interesting. I think I saw it on the shelf and thought it was in the wrong section LOL. Thanks for stopping by!

July 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    • Kate L Williams Reply

Snap! I needed your recommendation. Looking for a book to read re social media and social change. Thanks Loreli!

July 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm
  • Linda Daley Reply

Great resource list. Of course I’ve already read Scott’s books (so not entering your contest). Which if the other 5 book recommendations should I start with?

July 10, 2013 at 10:49 am
    • Anita Hovey Reply

Linda, I think you’d enjoy Mitch’s books. Great fodder for convincing people they need to go social.

July 12, 2013 at 11:14 am
  • Jennifer Wolsen Reply

Hi Anita,

I’ve always found Scott’s books to be extended blog posts, but then I’m very partcular on what a business book should be about. It’s why I recommend the book Influence Marketing by Sam Fiorella and Danny Brown

This, for me, is a real business book that offers a proper framework for businesses, and has changed the way my marketing team runs not only influence campaigns but also how we operate online as a whole.

I strongly recommend it.

July 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm
    • Anita Hovey Reply

I’m definitely planning to check out that book, too. Most of the clients I deal with are still trying to figure out why and how to run Facebook/Twitter etc., so “influence marketing” is a concept they’re not ready for yet. They do however, get great benefits and motivation for using Twitter from something like unMarketing, which is in plain language and makes it clear what not to do.

July 12, 2013 at 11:17 am
      • Jennifer Wolsen Reply

Ah, well then, yes, that makes sense to use a 101 book like Scott’s. 🙂

July 12, 2013 at 1:09 pm
  • Ashley Faulkes Reply

I have been thinking about reading some social media like books and had no idea where to start!! awesome Anita, thanks

July 12, 2013 at 9:24 am
    • Anita Hovey Reply

Great! Let me know what you think of them.

July 12, 2013 at 11:18 am
    • Anita Hovey Reply

Hey Ashley… you won the draw! Send me an e-mail with your mailing address and I’ll get the book out to you. anita (at) twirp (dot) ca

July 17, 2013 at 5:44 pm
  • Annette McKinnon Reply

The Long Tail gives us new access to the past and lets us rediscover anything.

July 12, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Hovey Reply

Excellent way to word it! Thanks for stopping by!

July 15, 2013 at 9:12 am
    • Anita Hovey Reply

Absolutely! Thanks for stopping by.

July 17, 2013 at 5:43 pm
  • Calvin Pearce Auto Reply

Thank for the reading Tips Anita. I will start my collection soon and have fall evening reading material.

July 12, 2013 at 10:13 pm
  • Calvin Lai Reply

Here’s another upvote for Stratten’s Unmarketing!

The value you get from the book will vary depending on how much you know. But for me, the magnetic part was Scott’s voice. He shakes, slaps and seduces you away from poor marketing approaches. His insights haunt you. In short, he reminds you to minimize both the experience and trust gap.

Also, if you’re new to the realm of twitter, then you should check out the following parts in the book:

Seven deadly social media sins + How twitter changed my business + Social media platforming

If you want a peek into consumer psychology, then check out:
    Stirring Coffee+Undercover marketing

If you want to learn customer service in social media, then check out:
    Dominos – word of mouth + Using stop start continue + local twitter

If you want to learn about the dirt behind the scenes, then check out:
    Why you can’t learn from millionaires + Testimonials + Best sellers + Doing-in person seminars + tele seminars + tele summits

If you want to learn to network with social media, then check out:
    trade shows + unnetworking: why networking events are evil

And if you’re interested in doing more with the trust gap on your website, then check out chapters 4 and 5 from Ben Hunt’s book ‘Convert!’

I hope this is useful for some of your readers here, Anita 🙂

Cheers,

Cal

July 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Hovey Reply

Wow… soounds like you should write your own book. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

July 20, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    • Anita Hovey Reply

Wow… soounds like you should write your own book. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

July 20, 2013 at 12:07 pm
  • Social Media Resources List: My Favourite Bloggers Reply

[…] up to my popular post Social Media Resources for You: A Reading List, I thought it would also be useful to share some of my favourite social media and online marketing […]

July 23, 2013 at 7:07 am
  • Kate L Williams Reply

My additions: 1) The Referral Engine by John Jantsch and 2) The Tao of Twitter by Mark Schaefer.

July 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • Anita Hovey Reply

I have looked at both of those many times… so many books, so little time to read!

July 28, 2013 at 2:30 pm
  • Geoffrey Winn Reply

The Long Tail is well worth the read because he explains so well how the internet works, and after Hummingbird it is even more important.

November 13, 2013 at 8:27 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Hovey Reply

I agree… it was a fascinating look at the Internet.

December 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm
  • Book Review: The Long Tail by Chris Anderson (2006) Reply

[…] can honestly say I never expected to be reading an economics book of my own free will. Even more, if you had told me that I would enjoy the book and try to talk […]

April 15, 2015 at 3:58 am