hootsuite features screen cap

How to use the New Hootsuite Facebook Albums Feature

On Monday I had a ‘hootgasam’… you know… where Hootsuite (aff) adds a new function and you get over-excited about it? I was working on community management for my clients, uploading photos for the specials later this week, when BAM, there was a new feature staring back at me. Hootsuite has now given us the ability to choose which Facebook albums our photos are uploaded to!

hootsuite features screen cap

It’s pretty simple to use.
1. Select the Facebook Page to which you want to send a photo and update.
2. Compose your Facebook status.
3. Add url paramaters and shorten the link if you’re including one.
4. Click the paperclip to add your photo. Below the link shortener window and the paperclip you will see the Facebook albums option appear. This drop down menu should include all of the albums available to the Facebook Page to which you are sending/scheduling this photo and update. Simply click on the correct album and voila!
5. Click send/schedule.

And yes, this does work on personal profiles, too!

This will make it much easier for businesses to keep their albums on Facebook organized. No more “Hootsuite Photos” album on your page. No more moving photos to the proper album months later (Yes, some people do actually do that.)

This is just one of the great new features Hootsuite has introduced recently, along with their new look for the dashboard. I’d love to know how you’re using the new Hootsuite Facebook Albums feature. Which new feature are you enjoying the most? Or which feature are you patiently awaiting? Let me know in the comments.

Join Social Media for Twirps

Animal-twirps-squirrel

Subscribe to get emails of the latest social media news, tips, tricks and tutorials, curated with the small business owner in mind and I'll send you the Brain Tickling list of content ideas for your blog and social media.

Comments (25)

• Susan Wright-Boucher Reply

This is great! Thanks so much for writing it up. I hadn’t even seen it yet.

November 12, 2014 at 12:14 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Hovey Reply

You’re very welcome Susan… I was pretty excited about it!

November 13, 2014 at 12:36 am
  • Lauren Whitaker Reply

“Below the link shortener window and the paperclip you will see the Facebook albums option appear.”
    Is this not available on the free version of Hootsuite? I’m not seeing this option …

May 12, 2015 at 1:39 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Hovey Reply

> Hi Lauren, It should be available to everyone. You must add your photo and select a FB profile before it will appear.

May 12, 2015 at 3:08 pm
      • Hayley Reply

It does not show the albums with the free version you can only publish to the wall.

August 20, 2016 at 4:01 pm
        • Anita Kirkbride
          Anita Kirkbride Reply

Hi Haley, I thought you could be right, but I just double checked on a free account and the option is there!

August 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm
  • Brooke Reply

What if we do not want to post the photo to an album, but would like for it to be included in our status update? For some reason, my page is now adding all hootsuite photos into a “hootsuite” album rather than just posting them to my timeline. Do you have an answer on how to fix this?

August 11, 2015 at 12:16 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Hovey Reply

The photo should still be posted on your timeline even if it’s being added to a “Hootsuite” album. You can go in and change the name of the Hootsuite album through Facebook so that it’s not obvious they are coming from Hootsuite. If you don’t specifically choose an album the photo should just appear in your status update as a photo update.

August 11, 2015 at 3:29 pm
  • Katie Reply

This isn’t an option on the hoot suite app. It still creates the album and no choice to choose your timeline only or any other albums actually:(

August 26, 2015 at 2:22 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Hovey Reply

Yes, unfortunately it isn’t an option on the app yet, but you can do it on the desktop version. You can always go into Facebook and rename your album, however and it should use the same album again next time.

August 27, 2015 at 7:15 pm
      • Jenn Reply

Hi Anita, maybe you can help me. When I first started using Hootsuite about a month ago, I uploaded my photos into a Timeline album that I created through Hootsuite. However, whenever I post to my timeline through facebook, it goes to the real timeline album. So now I have a Timeline album made by hootsuite and a Timeline album that is the real facebook one. I moved all of the Hootsuite Timeline Album photos into the Facebook Timeline Album, but now I can’t find any way to delete or even hide the HootsuiteTimeline Album. Can you help?

October 17, 2016 at 11:08 pm
        • Anita Kirkbride
          Anita Kirkbride Reply

Hi Jenn,

You should be able to delete the Hootsuite created album in the album settings on your Facebook page. I don’t believe you can do that through Hootsuite. In FB, open the album to be deleted, click on edit, and then you should see a trash can to delete the album!

October 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm
  • stacy Reply

is there a way for it not to going into an album , I want it to post like a status!!! please help

June 8, 2016 at 8:47 am
  • Sarah E Bradley Reply

Hi! All of my albums are showing except the one I want to post to (of course!) It says that some of my albums don’t have permissions. Do you know how to allow permissions? Thanks!

July 19, 2016 at 2:02 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Kirkbride Reply

Hi Sarah, I can’t be 100% sure, but do you have some of them set to different levels of privacy? Check the privacy on one that shows up and one that doesn’t and see.

July 20, 2016 at 10:15 am
      • Sarah E Bradley Reply

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried locating the privacy of each photo album and am unable to locate. Do you know where they are?

July 20, 2016 at 12:58 pm
        • Anita Kirkbride
          Anita Kirkbride Reply

If you’re looking at the page of album thumbnails on your profile, you should see a gear or some other symbol in the bottom right corner of each album. Clicking on that will open up the options menu. This only works on personal profiles. Albums on business Pages are all public.

If you are using a Page, I suggest contacting @Hootsuite_Help on Twitter to get a ticket set up to figure it out.

August 8, 2016 at 2:41 pm
  • Carol Reply

I have tens of dozens of albums in 3 different facebook accounts and when I want to post pictures on all three of them, not all of the albums are showing up. I also see 3 of each album in the drop down menu whenever I search for an album. Is there a limit to the number of albums hootsuite shows in the free version?

August 4, 2016 at 6:29 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Kirkbride Reply

There is no limit that I’m aware of, but if you have tens of dozens, then yes, there could be issues with that. I’d suggest contacting @Hootsuite_Help on Twitter to set up a ticket to find out what’s going on.

August 8, 2016 at 2:43 pm
  • 12 Days of Social Media: Twirp's Favourite Hootsuite Features Reply

[…] most recent feature additions. When you select a Facebook Page to send a picture to, you can now choose any of the existing albums on that Page for the picture to appear in. This would be a great feature for companies with […]

September 5, 2016 at 4:43 pm
  • Rachel Reply

Hello! I am interested in posting from Hootsuite directly into an album in a group on Facebook. I do not want it to be uploaded onto my personal page. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

January 3, 2017 at 8:24 pm
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Kirkbride Reply

Hi Rachel,
      While you can absolutely post a photo to a group on Facebook, through Hootsuite, it doesn’t look like they enabled the ability to post to a specific group album. I don’t know if that’s a Hootsuite issue or a Facebook API issue.

Anita

January 3, 2017 at 10:06 pm
  • Martinez Reply

How can I add different locations to the image? Once I click on the location it says loading and nothing work further. Would you please assist me with a video or some screenshots if possible?

May 21, 2017 at 2:50 am
    • Anita Kirkbride
      Anita Kirkbride Reply

I don’t think this actually works for Facebook. I think it is only there to use with Twitter.

May 29, 2017 at 9:16 am