The Social Coast Episode 5: The How and Why of Blogging for BusinessAnita Kirkbride
This week we’re talking about how and why a small business should consider blogging. We covered the different types of blogging platforms, different reasons to blog and even ways to come up with content ideas. The two biggest reasons for a small business to blog are to tell a brand story and for SEO. Tina explains the many variations on “brand story” and it boils down to your reason for being there; what is your purpose for writing this blog? Brand story doesn’t have to mean some big, airy-fairy “story” you tell in a special way. We unpack that. Then we move on to more tactical issues, like content creation, processes and SEO.
We also answered questions from the audience:
- How often should I blog?
- Is it better to build my own blog or guest blog?
- What platform is best for a business blog?
- How do you draw people in to your blog?
- Is SEO even worth the trouble? (preview: YES! It is, if done correctly!)
Have a listen to the replay and check out the resources we mentioned below.
- Daley Progress blog post on content creation ideas
- Twirp Communications blog series on seo for bloggers, beginner seo part 2
- The Sales Lion, 5 Things Everyone Should Blog
- Lift Communication, Social Media is Your Superhero Sidekick (Slideshare)
- Lift Communication, DIY Get Blogging Guide
- Lift Communication, Basic Blogging Inventory
- Huffington Post Business: Blogging Benefits That Change Your Business for the Better (added later because it’s a really great article!)
Join Social Media for Twirps
Subscribe to get emails of the latest social media news, tips, tricks and tutorials, curated with the small business owner in mind and I'll send you the Brain Tickling list of content ideas for your blog and social media.