Social Media Changes that Affect Small Business
Social media changes daily. Sometimes hourly! I know how hard it is to keep all those changes straight. Here’s a list of the most recent changes to the major social media networks, as they pertain to small and medium-sized businesses. Small businesses have different needs, resources and abilities than their larger, enterprise counterparts. Not all changes will affect everyone, so this page is focused on the changes small business owners need to know.
- Removing the url/website address from search results.
- Ads are coming to your Facebook Messenger conversations!
- You can now upload your own .gifs to Facebook. Let the games begin!
- Updates to your Facebook Page insights.
- New ad placements coming to Facebook?
- Video Page Covers. You can now have a video as the “Cover Photo” on your Facebook Page.
- Testing QR Codes for in-store discounts. This will help you track where your foot traffic is coming from!
- Introduced new tools to prevent the sharing of intimate images.
- You can now create a custom Story Frame and make it available to your friends to use (similar to geocoded filters on Snap).
- Facebook Allows Content Owners to Claim Ad Revenues From Freebooted Videos
- Live videos on Instagram can now be replayed via Stories for 24 hours.
- Added new features to stories, including video replies.
- Shut down another group of automation tools, so you may have noticed a dip in your engagement.
- Introduced a Branded Content tool for influencers.
- Testing ability to search stories by location tags.
- Instagram ads can now link to your Messenger account or chatbot.
- Updated Instagram.com to add more features.
- Rolled out Collections to help you organize your saved posts.
- You can now add up to 10 photos and videos to a single post.
- You can save posts to your profile privately to view later.
- Pinterest retired the Like button….was anyone using it? Exactly.
- Easier saving from your newsfeed, and new visual searching options.
- A way to keep track of ideas you’ve tried.
- Notifications got simpler.
- Added the ability to include more than one photo in your update when posting from iOs. Coming soon to Android and desktop!
- Added the ability to “filter” your profile picture. Yes, like Instagram you can now add filters to make your headshot look… better?
- Introduced Lead Generation Forms.
- Newsfeed filtering is back, finally! We can now weed out the types of updates in our LinkedIn newsfeed we don’t want to see.
- Notifications for publishing an article on LinkedIn are gone. Your connections no longer get a red flag notification when you publish an article on your profile. We’ll see how this one plays out.
- The new home page layout appears to have rolled out to everyone. Lots of changes and some features are now only available if you pay.
- New comment moderation tools.
- Made enhancements to Endorsements. I’m going to reserve judgment on this until I see it in action a bit longer. My gut says this won’t fix the endorsement issue.
- Share a link to your website in a Snap.
- New feature: Photoshop OUT items in your snaps
- Users can now make photos last forever.
- Users can now create looping, gif-like videos.
- Removed white borders around memories. Everyone seems really excited about this change.
- Introduced World Lenses, fun things you can add to photos on the front camera in Snap.
Join Social Media for Twirps
Subscribe to get emails of the latest social media news, tips, tricks and tutorials, curated with the small business owner in mind and I'll send you the Brain Tickling list of content ideas for your blog and social media.