3 Time-Saving Reasons to Adopt the Hootsuite SyndicatorAnita Kirkbride
I read a lot of blogs. Social media blogs. Business blogs. Marketing blogs. And hey, I even read some DIY blogs and keep trying to convince myself that yes, I can in fact paint my dining room set with milk paint. But I digress.
Until recently I relied on social media to put relevant blog posts in my stream for me to find. I wasn’t really “curating” my favourite blogs into one place to easily find and follow them. Sure, I subscribed to a few here and there and yes, I had some in a list on Twitter that I check all that time, but I wasn’t effectively tracking the best blogs.
The other day I was scrolling through Hootsuite’s blog and apps and came across the Hootsuite Syndicator app. I had tried to use it a couple of years ago, but couldn’t get it up and running for whatever reason. This time it worked perfectly and on the first try, so either I’ve gotten better at Hootsuite or something changed 🙂
Why Use Hootsuite Syndicator?
- Keep all your favourite blogs easily accessible right in your Hootsuite dashboard. Since I’m already logging in to Hootsuite every day, this makes sense. I can track which ones I’ve read or not by marking them read, which makes it super easy to see what’s new.
- I can group the blogs in like categories for easier content curation. For example, I have one stream for “Platform Blogs”, which includes Instagram, Pinterest, etc. I also have streams for my favourite social media blogs and my favourite local Halifax blogs. Now it’s easy to scroll through and see what’s new that I want to read.
- Sharing something you’ve just read is a cinch! Just click the share button and it pulls the headline and a shortened link into Hootsuite for you to post.
How to Set Up the Hootsuite Syndicator
- Install the Hootsuite Syndicator app to your dashboard by clicking on the Hootsuite App Directory in your left hand, pop out menu. Find the app and click on the install button.
- Add a new tab to your dashboard by clicking on the + on the right end of all your tabs. You can rename this tab if you want…I called mine RSS.
- In your new tab, you will add a stream by clicking on the + . Now you need to choose what you’re adding to the stream, so click on the apps tab and find Syndicator.
- Once you’ve got Syndicator added to a stream you need to subscribe to the RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Feed. Sometimes this can be hard to find. I have the best luck with going to www.blogaddress.com/feed. If you’ve found the right page, you will see a full page of code that you do not need to understand 🙂 Copy the url www.blogaddress.com/feed and paste that into the syndicator.
- Click on the manage subscriptions button in your stream. It looks like three airwaves 🙂 At the bottom of this window you will see a place to put your blog address (Add RSS Subscription) and you can paste in what you copied.
- Your new subscription should now populate to the list above. Find the “Play” button to the right of the blog address and click that to add the blog’s feed to your stream. Close that window.
- You should now see the most recent posts in your new stream. You can add several blogs to each stream depending on your needs. They will refresh every time you come to this tab, so they’ll always be up to date!
For those who are visual, here’s a quick video to walk you through some of the steps!
Join Social Media for Twirps
Subscribe to get emails of the latest social media news, tips, tricks and tutorials, curated with the small business owner in mind and I'll send you the Brain Tickling list of content ideas for your blog and social media.